What Can You Do To Stop Rape?
Here are a Few Ideas:
"Yet, why not tell what happened?" --Robert Lowell, poet
- Confront men who use sexist language or make jokes degrading to women.
- Challenge institutions that profit from sexist advertising that degrades women.
- Be aware of your own behavior or attitude which may be threatening to women.
- Do not confuse mere friendliness with sexual invitation.
- Become familiar with the history of women's oppression, so that you can challenge sexist beliefs about rape & violence.
- Be willing to examine your male ego defensiveness when listening to the expression of feminist ideas.
- Be alert to signs of women (or men) who may be suffering physical or verbal assault, and be willing to investigate and intervene.