Facilities and Services:
- bella109 on Sexually active girls needed worry to report an assault.
Hello, I am from Canada. I am a friend of an abuse survivor. The molestation took place behind a pub. She was...
- Barelyhere on I don't have the guts...to either live or die.
Before anyone preaches religion or how it's selfish to want to die please understand something. I believe in...
- fireandgold on If you need to let out your anger about abusive parents
My dad was a great father figure from when I could first start to remember. He always had a smile on his face...
- amira_b on Bacterial Vaginosis and HPV
I've never joined any forums but after my recent lab results, I must share this information. I was diagnosed...
- victorarnold85 on Homeless by choice?
I would think and it has gotten to the point to where he wants to be left alone and pretty much be a hermit....
- ShiningLight on dating a cocaine addict
Seek advice from a professional so you know what to do. It might be best for him to undergo rehabilitation...
Share your stories and support others...
Ativan is a tranquilizer type drug that is classified in a group of drugs called benzodiazepines.1 This prescription drug is used to treat anxiety disorders, insomnia and tension, and can be taken orally, through a patch, under the tongue, through muscular injection or through an IV.
In addition to treating anxiety disorders, insomnia and tension, Ativan is also used in the treatment of alcohol withdrawal symptoms.However, this can be risky because a person who is being treated for alcohol withdrawal symptoms may end up becoming addicted to Ativan. When Ativan is being used to treat withdrawals it should be done under medical supervision. Like most other benzodiazepines, Ativan can be extremely addictive, and like most other drugs, there is a risk of developing a serious dependence.
Signs of an Ativan addiction:
- Built up tolerance to Ativan
- Feeling like you need to take Ativan in order to get through daily activities
- Suffering financial hardships due to Ativan abuse
- Failed relationships due to Ativan abuse
Effects of Ativan Abuse
Abusing Ativan, especially if you are not prescribed to it, can lead to some serious short and long-term effects. Some of these dangerous, and often life-threatening effects include cognitive defects, kidney failure, respiratory failure, and even suicidal tendencies. Ativan has also been known to cause reverse effects on people. For instance, rather than calming a person down the way the drug is intended to do, it can actually make them more hostile and aggressive.
There are many different reasons a person may become addicted to Ativan, but whatever the reason for the addiction, there is always a risk of overdose. Symptoms of an Ativan overdose are sedation, coma, confusion, speech problems, low blood pressure, difficulty breathing or even death.
Fortunately, it is possible to treat an Ativan overdose. If you or someone you know is overdosing on Ativan seek medical help immediately. If the Ativan was taken recently then the person who overdosed can go to the hospital and get his or her stomach pumped. If it is not a recent overdose, then dialysis can be done to remove the Ativan from your blood. Another option is to just treat the symptoms of the overdose as they occur.
Treatment for Ativan Addiction
If an addiction has reached the point of overdose then it might be time to seriously consider seeking professional help at a drug rehabilitation center. Seeking a professional drug rehab center is the first step towards overcoming an Ativan addiction. It is difficult to overcome an addiction and it is even harder to do it alone, which is why rehab is very beneficial to anyone who is trying to kick their habit of Ativan abuse. In the long run, rehab will only better your life by saving you physically, psychologically and financially, and it will help you prevent overdosing again.
- WebMD – From this website I learned the basic definition of Ativan.
- Addiction Search – From this website I learned what Ativan is used for and how it can be taken. I also learned that Ativan is used to treat withdrawal symptoms. I also learned what the short and long term effects of Ativan abuse are. Also, that Ativan can have reverse effects and make people hostile and aggressive.
- MedTV – From this website I learned what the symptoms of an Ativan overdose are. I also learned that it is possible to treat an overdose.