Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In
Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_TopicIcon
I've been wondering - why all the hub-bub over the switch to Digital TV - Feb 2009?
October 26, 2008
12:57 pm
truthBtold
Members
Forum Posts: -1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Something has really been irking me for quite sometime now and I could never really place my finger squarely on it......until now!

I kept wondering to myself.....how is it that sooooo much time and money is being dedicated to getting out the message on the switch to digital TV MONTHS and MONTHS before it is actually to take place?

I see commercials about it all the time - even on PBS and now have noticed crawlers on the bottom of my TV screen as of late.

The push to make this known is incredible to me.

WHY IS THAT????????

Well, this morning I did a little research on the web and came across an excellent article which answers that question., at least to my mind.

The article is written by Ron Kaufman and is entitled: "How Television Fuels The Class War."

I think that it is quite good and makes tons of sense.

For those that might be interested, the link is:

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/c.....asswar.htm

I would be interested in hearing what ya'll think about this.

October 26, 2008
6:53 pm
thewall
Members

Because once it switches, we wont be able to view the tv without the little box . thats the big deal. All of the tv shows and commercials will be fuzzy...unviewable.

But if you have cable tv i dont think you need to buy the box

October 26, 2008
8:27 pm
Randomwomen2
Members
Forum Posts: 9

I know I have to buy one of those boxes or I wont get to watch anything on my tv. It only effects those who dont have cable. But for those people it can suck I bought a box for my tv and I dont get much because of our location I get better tv with my old rabbit ears.

October 27, 2008
4:01 pm
truthBtold
Members

thewall & RW2,

Thank you for your posts.

However, I probably didn't make myself clear.

The issue I have is not so much about what is to take place - (I completely understand the switch) it is the MANNER in which all this time & effort & money is being used to constantly communicate this change all these many months in advance.

Why such an obvious priority?

Afterall, sometimes I hear a blurb about a consumer product recall which could potentially be dangerous - even fatal in some circumstances but to which that info airs on the news for maybe a day or two and that's it.

So, by comparison, I wonder why this big push?

What's the motive here?

Why is being able to access TV given such a monumental priority?

The link I provided explains this, in part and to a certain degree.

It is the information cited in this article that I should like to invite discussion upon and wonder what everyone else's slant is on this subject?

October 30, 2008
1:23 am
CraigCo
Members
Forum Posts: 39

Tbt,
Hi ya! Hope you're well.

I believe that the powers that be truly like keeping people glued to the idiot box. God forbid that people have time to think for themselves. Lull them into conformity & advertise like crazy. Make them think they need this or they need that to fill the voids in their life.
I think it's just another way to keep folks "dumbed down" if you will.

But, the number one way you enslave humans is to use their strongest qualities against them. Like their innate spirituality or ingrained notion of connectedness. So, invent religion! Also, there's our productive capabilities on a social level and our ability to labor and create great works of art. So, invent slavery, serfdom, indentured servitude, and debt, all reinforced by threat of concentrated violence, ie, the law). The Federal Reserve and the IRS pretty much has us locked up I'd say.

I believe Vladimir Lenin once said "the best way to take down a nation was to debauch its currency. The subtle erosion of wealth due to inflation would not be spotted by one man in a million". I'm obviously not the only one who sees it, as I've learned this from others.

Its all about energy but, the key is how to keep the locks on it. Eventually the ruling elite will no longer have the power to contain all that human energy which seems to be building steadily beneath the surface.
A very necessary transformation of our social structure is becoming imminent. Things can suddenly change fairly rapidly when they do. I think periods such as these are refered as "Revolutions". Wonder if we'll see it in our lifetime?

Anyway, maybe I should check out that website you've mentioned before I pack it in for the night.

November 1, 2008
8:26 pm
Worried_Dad
Members
Forum Posts: 43

Because if people don't know about the switch, and they end up missing a day or two of TV, civilization, as we know it will come to an end.

Also we might miss some expensive advertisements for cars, tampons, washing machines, frozen pizza....

November 2, 2008
8:10 pm
chelonia mydas
Members
Forum Posts: 7

Our culture is centered on TV. I haven't had one for over 2 years now and people can't beleive it. I watch DVDs on the computer, but other than that I do not watch news (but do get it from the internet).

But yes, its because if they loose viewers then they loose advertising dollars.

I lost TV when my ex took all 3 of our TVs. I never got them back and never wanted one enough to shell out the $$ to get a replacement. Within the first week, I couldn't beleive how much more time I had to do stuff. I rediscovered gardening... something I love doing but never had time before (because I was plopped in front of the TV).

In the last 2 years I do spend loads of time online, but I've also read more books, watched more meaningful movies, engaged in more activities than I did when I owned a TV.

Could you imagine the trouble these networks would have if some of their viewers went through the same discoveries I did 2 years ago and never went back to TV? Then if it spread and people actually took their children to the park, insteading of parking them in front of the TV? And if those with TVs started to join those without in real life instead of watching others act out fictional lives for the sake of promoting consumption, our comsumption based society would go through a major change that would short change the networks and affiliates.

I've even had folks tell me how I can get a free converter if I can't afford one... I ask if it comes with a free TV too? They are surprised to hear I don't have one and after that act like I have the plauge.

Ditch TV, it steals time and rots your brain. My life is loads better without it.

November 3, 2008
8:33 am
courage to change
Members

I do not have a TV, but I do have an exciting social life xxx

Forum Timezone: UTC -8
Most Users Ever Online: 349
Currently Online:
Guest(s)
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
onedaythiswillpass: 1134
zarathustra: 562
StronginHim77: 453
free: 433
2013ways: 431
curious64: 408
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 49
Members: 111163
Moderators: 5
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 74
Topics: 38716
Newest Members:
CaitlynForlong, AndrinNetzer, MaarcusPedersen, MarcusPedersen, eyeconcepts, junwork52
Moderators: arochaIB: 1, devadmin: 9, Tincho: 0, Donn Gruta: 0, Germain Palacios: 0
Administrators: admin: 21, ShiningLight: 572, emily430: 29

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Health Disclaimer | Do Not Sell My Personal Information