Avatar
Please consider registering
guest
sp_LogInOut Log In
Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope


Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_TopicIcon
Has Dr. Michael Parenti any credibility?
December 30, 2008
7:59 pm
Avatar
guest_guest
Guest
Guests

oops forgot to paragraph it out:

>> I have shown his credibility to be zero by posting not only a cut and paste from his defamatory article denigrating Mother Theresa but also a link to his site for all the folks here to see the full context from which it was taken.

The fact that he highlighted something controversial about Mother Teresa doesnt reduce his credibilility at all. If anything it increased it because the same facts were found on Wikipedia. Good luck.

December 30, 2008
8:28 pm
Avatar
Guest
Guests

tree_hugs_4life

On the 30-Dec-08 you wrote:

"Does this Parenti have proof of his allegations? I wonder."

He probably has proof of some of it. But either way, he knows that Mother Theresa won't be suing him.

But the point is this:

Imagine is someone after your death, gained access to your private papers, diaries and intimate life details through interviews, documents etc. Imagine if that person then published all of the negative things about you on the internet and in a book. Imagine if these negative 'facts' were presented in the worst possible light! How rotten a person you would appear to have been! No one would bother doing this to you unless you were a 'tall poppy'. If you were Mother Theresa, or the Dalai Lama then there is a humungous amount of publicity coming your way if you denigrate such fine people. Remember the slogan: "In the marketing world all publicity is good publicity." Parenti is all about marketing alright - marketing himself and his book(s). As the song goes, Parenti is "Drinkin' rum and coca cola ... working for the yankee dollar".

Context is everything!!!! In so meanly rubbishing Mother Theresa, Parenti has lost all credibility, IMHO.

December 30, 2008
8:31 pm
Avatar
guest_guest
Guest
Guests

>> Context is everything!!!! In so meanly rubbishing Mother Theresa, Parenti has lost all credibility, IMHO.

You loose credibility when its proven that you lied or did something on those lines. You dont loose it just because what you published was very 'mean' or it broke our heart.

December 30, 2008
9:06 pm
Avatar
Guest
Guests

Only a complete half-wit would think the Parenti article on his site about Mother Theresa was anything but a completely biased put down of this noble woman. Just the extremely negative bias shows Parenti's lack of academic stature.

Parenti has lost all credibility.

December 30, 2008
9:26 pm
Avatar
Guest
Guests

guest_guest
30-Dec-08

In several separate posts you wrote and/or repeated:

"I'm not going to respond to anyone on this thread, unless you have done some fact finding and are going to talk about proving Michael Parenti wrong in any of the facts he has brought up.

You then just a few minutes ago after lodging two more posts subsequent to your multiple 'dummy spit', said:

"You loose credibility when its proven that you lied or did something on those lines"

Says you! Fortunately for us you don't write the rules, boyo.

But where is your credibility?

Is your word to be believed after posting three times your same emphatic statement:

"I'm not going to respond to anyone on this thread, unless you have done some fact finding and are going to talk about proving Michael Parenti wrong in any of the facts he has brought up.

I don't see any of the "Proof" that you so emphatically demanded as a condition for your further posts!!!!

Where is your integrity? Does your word mean nothing? I suspect it means as much as Parenti's does - zilch. Perhaps you are rattled?

When some one 'bags' Mother Theresa like Parenti, Penn and Teller has done then, believe me, in the eyes of the world they sure as hell lose all credibility academically and otherwise. Yes Parenti stands on the same level as Penn & Teller in the credibility stakes.

Any Uni student who uses Parenti's very biassed work as a reference for some claim more than likely would be 'marked down' for it. But you could not be expected to know that.

December 30, 2008
9:34 pm
Avatar
guest_guest
Guest
Guests

>> I don't see any of the "Proof" that you so emphatically demanded as a condition for your further posts!!!!

I think you should calm down.

December 30, 2008
9:37 pm
Avatar
Guest
Guests

"I think you should calm down."

Whose rattled now!! You are resorting to that? You must have your back to the wall!

December 30, 2008
9:39 pm
Avatar
Guest
Guests

guest_guest.

Please don't let either your or Parenti's lack of credibility worry you. You can do something about your lack of credibility though. Don't lose hope. Just say what you mean and mean what you say.

December 30, 2008
9:42 pm
Avatar
Healing.. and peace
New Member
Members
Forum Posts: -1
Member Since:
September 27, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Tez,

>>> If you were Mother Theresa, or the Dalai Lama then there is a humungous amount of publicity coming your way if you denigrate such fine people. Remember the slogan: "In the marketing world all publicity is good publicity." Parenti is all about marketing alright - marketing himself and his book(s). As the song goes, Parenti is "Drinkin' rum and coca cola ... working for the yankee dollar".

This is exactly what I was saying some people (NOT ALL) find a way to make money and it is the almighty dollar not the truth that is the motive behind publishing such words.

Who knows really what is in the hearts of others, but to read the attempt to discredit them in such a way is pointless to a lot of people but those people can see the reason's why, and it's not too difficult to see or understand either.

I'm not putting down Guest for his opinion as he has a right to believe what he chooses to believe just like everyone else does, and I'm sure he isn't alone in his beliefs either. I believe Guest would be wonderful at exposing the truths about things that could make a differance in lifes. However, where is the differance that this information could have in a person's life.

I could find just as many pages to discredit Parenti's writings and findings as I can Parenti's attempts to discredit others. I prefer not to even go there though as again there would be no point.

Guest I do respect you, and your opinion but I don't understand why it is so important to refer to one person or even a few articles for the ultimate source of truth when there are just as many referrance saying he is a fraud, and a money seeking writer using another person's good name and deeds to make money.

If for example you believe Mother Teresa was a good person that did many good things for many people, what does it matter what she believed in her heart? We all could see her good deeds that is for sure and a fact. So that is really the only truth we know for sure. She was a human being that tried to help others, I see nothing wrong with that or a need to expose what she may have written in her private moments possibly questioning life.

Kindly and respectfully

Healing and Peace

December 30, 2008
9:46 pm
Avatar
bevdee
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 259
Member Since:
September 30, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hey G_

Tree says this - "Does this Parenti have proof of his allegations? I wonder. This has aroused my curiosity.

Mother Teresa? "

And your response to this is "Tree, I assume you believe in Jesus. Do you have any proof of his credibility or claims of being God? "

What does one have to do with the other? Her question was does Parenti have proof of his allegations? Not do you assume I believe in Jesus and God?

December 30, 2008
9:46 pm
Avatar
guest_guest
Guest
Guests

>> Any Uni student who uses Parenti's very biassed work as a reference for some claim more than likely would be 'marked down' for it.

Considering the following:

Parenti received his Ph.D. in political science from Yale University and has taught at several universities, colleges, and other institutions. He is the author of twenty books and many more articles. His works have been translated into at least eighteen languages.[1] Parenti lectures frequently throughout the United States and abroad. His book, The Assassination of Julius Caesar, A People's History of Ancient Rome,[2] was selected as a Book of the Year for 2004[3] by Online Review of Books and Current Affairs.[4] He is the father of author and The Nation magazine contributor Christian Parenti.

In Washington, D.C., in 2003, the Caucus for a New Political Science gave him a Career Achievement Award. In 2007 he received a Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition from U.S. Representative Barbara Lee and an award from New Jersey Peace Action. For several years in the 1980s, he was a Visiting Fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies in Washington, D.C.

... I dont think the university student would have to worry.

December 30, 2008
9:48 pm
Avatar
guest_guest
Guest
Guests

Bevdee, did you forget that I already mentioned that Parenti's claims are there in Wikipedia as well, or are you just interested in opposing anything I say?

Whats next: are you going to ask if Wikipedia has any proof of the allegation that it was Islamic terrorists who did 9/11?

Read the wikipedia article. See the references there.

December 30, 2008
9:50 pm
Avatar
guest_guest
Guest
Guests

Healing, apologies, I dont have time for subjective arguments.

I'm looking for objective information that discredits Michael Parenti. Anyone?

December 30, 2008
10:25 pm
Avatar
bevdee
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 259
Member Since:
September 30, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

No,G_ I am not trying to disagree with everything you say. I am trying to understand what one has to do with the other.

This last post does not answer my question. It's a dodge, just like the response you gave to Tree.

"Whats next: are you going to ask if Wikipedia has any proof of the allegation that it was Islamic terrorists who did 9/11? " No, I wouldn't exptrapolate or jump all ove the place like that.

December 30, 2008
10:31 pm
Avatar
guest_guest
Guest
Guests

>> Her question was does Parenti have proof of his allegations?

Ok lets start logically. What specific allegation are you searching for proof? If you need I'll email him myself and bring it to you here on the table and maybe then you'll be quiet.

Show that you're looking for a debate and not just for opposing whatever I say.

Show that you've actually READ what Parenti said. Yes now you'll go back and bring me something. I know you well.

Lets start with the allegations. I'll give you one chance though. I dont have time to go over the whole document. We're looking to discredit Parenti. Lets do it and lets talk like rational adults. Show that you can have an intelligent reasoned conversation.

December 30, 2008
10:33 pm
Avatar
guest_guest
Guest
Guests

typo:

>> What specific allegation is that for which you are searching for proof?

December 30, 2008
10:45 pm
Avatar
bevdee
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 259
Member Since:
September 30, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Actually, I would be more interested in my original questions. Not what are his credentials, but how does he treat people? His people, and people he has no personal stake in reaching out to or helping. Selling books to warn about the Dalai Lama or other evils just makes him money.

"There are other critics of Mother Teresa other than Parenti"

What critics? Can you name them?

December 31, 2008
12:05 am
Avatar
guest_guest
Guest
Guests

Bevdee,

Additional critics of Mother Teresa?
If only you read my posts which proves you're not interesting in debate. You're just interesting in opposing me. Start from the top again.

>> Selling books to warn about the Dalai Lama or other evils just makes him money.

Likewise you help people in the hospital just to make money.

I dont like saying stuff like that but you asked for it. If you're going to attack people personally like that, watch out because the same principles will apply to you as well.

December 31, 2008
12:38 am
Avatar
bevdee
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 259
Member Since:
September 30, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

G_,

I'm trying to figure out what happened here.

Tez starts a thread to open discussion about Parenti, to which you have responded several times, saying alternately that you will not respond, then responding that "we", who post in this thread must prove that Parenti is wrong or incorrect.

Can you prove he is right? If you can, please do, for the integrity of this thread. Otherwise, the Wiki quotes seem to me like still another bombardment of a thread that holds a different opinion than you do. I would like more critics of M.Theresa- what has been posted so far is not enough for me.

In response to my noting that Parenti makes money from his writings, you say "If you're going to attack people personally like that," Gee, G_g, I didn't even think that was a criticism as much as a statement, my opinion, much less an attack. You must really like and rever this guy - or think that everything he says is the absolute truth? Are you his proofreader, editor, publisher or just a fan? Why are you so sensitive about him?

Can no one criticise Parenti? Express disagreement with any of his writings?

BTW- I don't take this as an attack,

"Likewise you help people in the hospital just to make money.

I dont like saying stuff like that but you asked for it. If you're going to attack people personally like that, watch out because the same principles will apply to you as well. "

That doesn't bother me. Did you assume it would? 😀 I like to make money, and 27 years ago, I chose a healing profession that enables me to do it without extended patient contact. I drive an hour one way into the metroplex to make $7/hr more than I would make in my town and I work weekend overnights to make almost $10 more on top of that. Not because I like the hours, but because I only have to work two nights a week. Coup!!!!! And I would never never take an image for free. I would not go to the hospital and interact with any patient without clocking in. That's my job, not my charity, and I have no delsusions about it. That I help people at my job can be gratifying to me, because for the most part I like people, but I would rather do cool post -processing reformatting and 3D rendering all night long than ever touch another patient.

So, that didn't work for an attack. Did you feel you had to "attack" me since you believed I was "attacking" Parenti?

Calm down.

December 31, 2008
12:42 am
Avatar
Guest
Guests

Guest_guest.

"... I dont think the university student would have to worry."

So it is obvious you have no understanding of academia holding unbiassed research and reporting in high regard? Hmmm! As I thought.

December 31, 2008
12:47 am
Avatar
Guest
Guests

guest_guest

On the 30-Dec-08 for the second identical but non-sequential post you wrote:

"Repeating myself:

>> I'm not going to respond to anyone on this thread, unless you have done some fact finding and are going to talk about proving Michael Parenti wrong in any of the facts he has brought up."

Has some one "done some fact finding and are going to talk about proving Michael Parenti wrong in any of the facts he has brought up"?

Or is your word worthless and yopu are full of it?

December 31, 2008
1:00 am
Avatar
guest_guest
Guest
Guests

Why are you guys getting your panties in a bunch? Look at this thread. Damnnnn

Ok..

Bevdee

>> Otherwise, the Wiki quotes seem to me like still another bombardment of a thread that holds a different opinion than you do. I would like more critics of M.Theresa- what has been posted so far is not enough for me.

Name the other critic I have mentioned in the thread. I'm not going to repeat the name. Go back and scan the thread. I'll make you read this thread if you're not going to read it yourself.

>> That doesn't bother me. Did you assume it would? 😀 I like to make money, and 27 years ago, I chose a healing profession that enables me to do it without extended patient contact. I drive an hour one way into the metroplex to make $7/hr more than I would make in my town and I work weekend overnights to make almost $10 more on top of that. Not because I like the hours, but because I only have to work two nights a week. Coup!!!!! And I would never never take an image for free. I would not go to the hospital and interact with any patient without clocking in. That's my job, not my charity, and I have no delsusions about it. That I help people at my job can be gratifying to me, because for the most part I like people, but I would rather do cool post -processing reformatting and 3D rendering all night long than ever touch another patient.

Good stuff. I'm sure Parenti could give a longer explanation of why he wrote the book. lol. See? That was my point.

>> Can no one criticise Parenti? Express disagreement with any of his writings?

I would LOVE to see disagreement, but - scholarly, reasoned and well -researched. Uptil now you have shown that you havent even read what I'm writing so you dont know the name of the other critic of Mother Teresa.

December 31, 2008
1:05 am
Avatar
Guest
Guests

Where has Wikipedia ever made the claim that their contents are all proven and undeniable facts?

Guest_guest was fantasizing again when he wrote this:

"... They are not 'unproven'. Wikipedia doesnt let unproven stuff stay in".

According to Wikipedia:

"What is Wikipedia?

Wikipedia is an encyclopedia written collaboratively by many of its readers. It is a special type of website, called a wiki, that makes collaboration easy. Many people are constantly improving Wikipedia, making thousands of changes per hour, all of which are recorded on article histories and recent changes. Inappropriate changes are usually removed quickly, and repeat offenders can be blocked from editing. If you add new material to Wikipedia, please provide references. Facts that are unreferenced are routinely removed from the encyclopedia."

Please focus on what Wikipedia actually states in their own words:

"Facts that are unreferenced are routinely removed from the encyclopedia."

'Unreferenced' does not mean 'unproven' any more than 'referenced' means 'proven'. Only a person without academic training might fall into that trap of thinking the two are synonomous.

Two authors of concurrently 'referenced' works might wholeheartedly disagree about what is a proven fact and which is not.

So quoting Wikipedia as proof of veracity of something as being a proven fact is a blunder indeed.

Of course referencing Parenti for support might be something someone like that would also do.

December 31, 2008
1:06 am
Avatar
bevdee
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 259
Member Since:
September 30, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

G_,

I'm not wearing panties. You and your assumptions!!!

I'm going to ask this question again.

Did you feel you had to "attack" me since you believed I was "attacking" Parenti? "

December 31, 2008
1:18 am
Avatar
Guest
Guests

guest_guest
31-Dec-08

"Why are you guys getting your panties in a bunch? Look at this thread. Damnnnn"

Whoooaaa ... calm down G_g. You'll end up having a heart attack.

Defending Parenti is so important to you because he is the mainstay of your so-called 'evidence' in the fight to defame the Dalai Lama.

The Dalai Lama meant nothing to you before I started the Dalai Lama thread.

Why is it so important to you to close my Dalai Lama Thread down by spamming it?

Why not have the guts to just come right out and spill your gripe against me for all to see? It might save you having a 'nervous breakdown'.

Everyone here knows that this gripe against me (and/or your father) underpins your attacks on the Dalai Lama and the Buddha.

Get it all out there for all to see, boyo - before you have an internal haemmorage.

Forum Timezone: UTC -8
Most Users Ever Online: 349
Currently Online:
30
Guest(s)
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
onedaythiswillpass: 1134
zarathustra: 562
StronginHim77: 453
free: 433
2013ways: 431
curious64: 408
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 49
Members: 111162
Moderators: 5
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 74
Topics: 38716
Posts: 714574
Newest Members:
AndrinNetzer, MaarcusPedersen, MarcusPedersen, eyeconcepts, junwork52, whitedental
Moderators: arochaIB: 1, devadmin: 9, Tincho: 0, Donn Gruta: 0, Germain Palacios: 0
Administrators: admin: 21, ShiningLight: 572, emily430: 29

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Health Disclaimer | Do Not Sell My Personal Information