Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In
Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_TopicIcon
Has anyone ever seen the movie: "Inherit the Wind?" with Spencer Tracy/1960's?
January 7, 2007
12:45 pm
truthBtold
Members
Forum Posts: -1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I saw it last night on the PBS channel and thought it was GREAT!!!!! Now THAT really was a 4-star movie!!!!!

January 7, 2007
4:24 pm
Loralei
Members

That really was a great movie. I haven't seen it in years but would love to catch it again. Interesting how timely it still is, eh?

January 7, 2007
6:08 pm
Guests

TruthBtold.

I saw the movie many years ago several times. I seem to remember that Spencer Tracy was the kindly older brother who was emotionally blackmailed by his evil younger brother to climb the mountain in an attempt to rescue the aeroplane crash victims on the mountain top.

As I recall the theme of the movie was about the clash of good and evil intentions that ultimately led to a terrible confrontation between the two brothers that ended in tragedy for all.

Apart from the extremely good acting what in particular grabbed your attention?

What lesson did you glean from this movie? What do you think justified the older brother's other-centredness? What do you think condemns the younger brother's self-centredness?

After all if there is no God or any judgment and consequent reward/punishment in an afterlife, why not just grab what we can, when and where and from whom we can? The vast majority of the world seems to be living and doing business that way these days anyway.

What do you think motivates you to care about others as you obviously do?

January 7, 2007
6:49 pm
lovinglife
Members
Forum Posts: 9

Sounds like a wonderful Movie, I'll have to check it out..thanks for the head up.

January 7, 2007
7:45 pm
Loralei
Members

"Inherit the Wind is a dramatization of the famous Scopes Monkey Trial of 1925 when a biology teacher was arrested and challenged a law passed by the Tennessee State legislature making it a crime to teach anything other than the account of creation as set down in the Book of Genesis."

From the Movie Internet Database.

January 8, 2007
6:40 pm
Guests

Thanks Loralei.

I've got the wrong movie. I now realize I was talking about the movie 'The Mountain' - another great movie with Spencer starring in it.

January 10, 2007
12:24 am
Loralei
Members

Tez, you asked,
"After all if there is no God or any judgment and consequent reward/punishment in an afterlife, why not just grab what we can, when and where and from whom we can? The vast majority of the world seems to be living and doing business that way these days anyway.

What do you think motivates you to care about others as you obviously do?"

It seems that a lot of people think that without religion, there is no moral compass. Do they really think that fear of going to hell is the only deterent keeping people from going on some kind of rampage? People need each other for survival, for reproduction, for enjoyment, etc. In hurting others, we only hurt ourselves. By the same token, the more abundance there is, the more success people are experiencing, the better the rest of us automatically have it. During the Great Depression, the entire country suffered tremendously. What affects one person also affects the next. We are all in the same boat.

Do you love your family only because your religion tells you that you should? Do you have friends that you care about and help out when they need you? Is "religion" the reason you do? Or is it the humanity and empathy that is inherent in most of us, even in atheists?

Many claim that our morality only comes from the bible. That without it, we are incapable of knowing right from wrong.

"In response to criticism that no one takes every word of the Bible literally any more, Richard Dawkins says:
'That is my whole point. We pick and choose which bits of scripture to believe, which bits to write off as symbols or allegories. Such picking and choosing is a matter of personal decision, just as much, or as little, as the atheist's decision to follow this moral precept or that was a personal decision, without an absolute foundation. If one of these is "morality flying by the seat of its pants", so is the other.'"

For me, the bible is the last place I'd look for guidance. The god of the bible murdered innocent men, women and children, encouraged incest, committed genocide, created laws that required stoning women to death for minor infractions, was pro-slavery, etc. For those who say they only follow the new testament, then why do you go back and pull out the 10 commandments? They are in the old testament. Here you go, picking and choosing what you take from the bible, using your OWN judgement of what is right and wrong. I do the same. I just skip the middle step of consulting the bible in the first place. It is no different.

January 10, 2007
4:21 pm
bevdee
Members
Forum Posts: 259

Loralei

"Or is it the humanity and empathy that is inherent in most of us, even in atheists?"

I think it is.

January 10, 2007
7:47 pm
Guests

Loralei

On the 10-Jan-07 you said:

"For me, the bible is the last place I'd look for guidance. The god of the bible murdered innocent men, women and children, encouraged incest, committed genocide, created laws that required stoning women to death for minor infractions, was pro-slavery, etc. For those who say they only follow the new testament, then why do you go back and pull out the 10 commandments? They are in the old testament. Here you go, picking and choosing what you take from the bible, using your OWN judgement of what is right and wrong. I do the same. I just skip the middle step of consulting the bible in the first place. It is no different."

I could not agree more with you if I tried. That is my view as well. I am not a Christian. In fact I have no religious affiliation whatsoever. Yet I try to be extremely moral to the best of my ability.

If I ever choose to join any religion it would be the Buddhists. They have no God whatsoever, no Messiah, only great teachers - Sakyamuni Buddha being the greatest in this epoch. But they teach that there have been in the past and will be in the future a great many Buddhas. They teach that we are all potential Buddhas who haven't yet realized that state of mind yet. The psychology of Buddhism is sound, science is their friend, and philosophy is their ally. Why Buddhism is categorized as a 'religion' I am unsure. I thought belief in a God or Gods was a compulsory prerequisite for a religion.

January 10, 2007
9:08 pm
Loralei
Members

Tez,

I also enjoy dabbling in Buddhism, Taoism, Zen and the Kabbalah. There is a lot of wisdom there. There seems to be so much similarity among these philosophies and it's all so positive. I don't view any of them as a religion either.

It is very difficult to be a nonbeliever/agnostic/atheist/freethinker in society. We get such a bad rap simply because we don't have an imaginary friend in the sky. I've gotten to know numerous nonbelievers and nearly all have studied the bible extensively, far far more than the average Christian.

But like most nonbelievers, unless I am with like thinkers, I tend to keep my mouth shut. My relatives are all fundamentalists and if they knew, I'd be scorned and shunned. So much for loving your fellow man.

January 11, 2007
7:19 pm
Guests

Loralei.

You said:

"I've gotten to know numerous nonbelievers and nearly all have studied the bible extensively, far far more than the average Christian."

I cannot for the life of me see how any half way intelligent person could study the bible in its entirety and not be riddled with doubt and disbelief.

I watched a documentary yesterday, in which highly learned theologians and other academics investigated and debated the authorship of the bible.

One thing came through was the certainty of the uncertainty of who wrote what, when and where and how. Lots of geographical errors and contradictions were pointed out. Marked differences in versions over time of gospels, side notes, omissions etc, reinforced the belief in these Christian academics and priests that the scribes copying the earlier versions for transmission reinterpreted and changed the earlier versions, even adding large chunks to the end of at least one gospel.

Divine inspiration? Hmmmm!

Now there is the problem of the Nag Hammadhi scrolls found in 1945 and the Dead Sea Scrolls. What about future finds?

Can you possibly imagine Christians of any denomination accepting the rewriting and the reformation of the bible based upon conflicts with first century manuscripts bring to light all this information?

The Christian hierarchy will bend over backwards to suppress, denigrate and dismiss at any cost anything that threatens their infallibly inspired words of God as is contained in their present versions of the bible.

By comparison, Buddhists are far less pedantic about the Buddha's sutras being 100% exactly what the Buddha said. They claim no such divine inspiration or infallibility.

Yet the various sects are so comfortable with the beliefs of other Buddhist sects that they recommend their adherents to read widely and to freely pick and choose what best fits their particular needs, sect wise.

When I was a young bloke it was a mortal sin to even go into a protestant church with the threat of languishing in the everlasting fires of hell as a consequence of dying without having confessed such a dastardly sin!! Now, the story's changed without a public apology or even an admission of their errors from the Vatican. It's all swept under the carpet as though it never happened.

Forum Timezone: UTC -8
Most Users Ever Online: 349
Currently Online:
Guest(s)
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
onedaythiswillpass: 1134
zarathustra: 562
StronginHim77: 453
free: 433
2013ways: 431
curious64: 408
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 49
Members: 111136
Moderators: 5
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 74
Topics: 38716
Newest Members:
Warnisses, degastro, kojuyu, NathanielClark, avoid_up, Amin99
Moderators: arochaIB: 1, devadmin: 9, Tincho: 0, Donn Gruta: 0, Germain Palacios: 0
Administrators: admin: 21, ShiningLight: 572, emily430: 29

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Health Disclaimer | Do Not Sell My Personal Information