Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
BRIGHT moon! Dec. 22, 1999
December 16, 1999
9:15 am
site coordinator
Members
Forum Posts: -1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This year the first full moon in December will occur on the winter solstice, December 22. Commonly called the first day of
winter, this year December 22 and the full moon are occurring in conjunction with a
lunar perigee. (A lunar perigee is the point in the moon's orbit that is closest to Earth.) The unusual conjunction of these events
means the moon will appear about 14% larger than it does at apogee (the point in it's elliptical orbit that is farthest from the
Earth).

Since the Earth is also several million miles closer to the sun at this time of the year than in the summer, sunlight striking the moon
is about 7% stronger, making it appear brighter. Adding to these celestial
oddities, is the fact that because the moon's orbit is constantly deforming this will be the closest perigee of the Moon this year.

So what does all this mean? Not much really, but if the weather is clear and there is snow cover where you live, it is believed
that even car headlights will be superfluous.

And the last time this happened, December 21, 1866, the Lakota Sioux took advantage of this combination of occurrences and
staged a devastating retaliatory ambush on soldiers in the Wyoming Territory.

In lay terms it will be a super bright full moon, much more than the usual AND it hasn't happened this way for 133 years! Our
ancestors 133 years ago saw this. Our descendants 100 or so years from now will see
this again. I thought you might find it interesting too.

Remember this will happen December 22, 1999.

December 16, 1999
6:44 pm
VRJ
Members

Thanks SC, I will look for it. We got snow last night finally so I hope it's a clear night!

December 17, 1999
12:05 pm
eve
Members

SC, thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to it. Sometimes I'm really moonstruck.

December 22, 1999
4:55 pm
eve
Members

It really looks brighter that usual!

Forum Timezone: UTC -8
Most Users Ever Online: 247
Currently Online:
Guest(s)
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
onedaythiswillpass: 1134
zarathustra: 562
StronginHim77: 453
free: 433
2013ways: 431
curious64: 408
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 49
Members: 110924
Moderators: 5
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 74
Topics: 38537
Newest Members:
delight1080, laticia1, Corties, patrickstayes, kevinkovalsky, izzy39
Moderators: arochaIB: 1, devadmin: 9, Tincho: 0, Donn Gruta: 0, Germain Palacios: 0
Administrators: admin: 21, ShiningLight: 572, emily430: 29

Copyright © 2019 MH Sub I, LLC. All rights reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Health Disclaimer