Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope


Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
waiting for a sign
October 13, 2000
11:47 pm
waiting for a sign
New Member
Forum Posts: -1
Member Since:
September 29, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Where to begin...I am a single parent of 2 junior high boys. I was divorced when my youngest was just a few months old. My ex is currently in jail for drug abuse. About 2 years after my divorce I met a man with whom I lived with until just last March. He is a good man, but also had problems with drugs and alcohol. Not anything hard, just your typical joint or two and a few beers, but it was hard for me to handle when I was trying to set a good example for my boys. I never was a drinker and never got into the drug scene. I think they wrote the song "Goody Two Shoes" with me in mind. Anyway, not only did I separate from my last love, but lost my job at the same time due to a layoff. I now live with my parents and this has been all toooooo stressful. One reason for the recent split up was due to my bad temper. I tend to yell, scream, through things, kick, slam doors, break items, you get the idea. I hate the fact that I do that. I don't do anything like this at work or school. (I am in college completing a masters degree). I don't want my kids to see this side of me, but sometimes I get so angry I can't control it until its all over. I thought about counseling, but I hear that can effect your insurance benefits and I just got a new job. I have some real bitter moments with my family and once a long time ago was prescribed prozac. I took it for about a week and was too scared of the side effects so stopped. I am not sure if taking a drug is the right step. Why can't I just control the anger before it gets out of hand? I feel like my temper is out of control sometimes. I have been trying to work things out with my previous bo, but I don't want to get back into a relationship with this temper. I just lost my temper tonight with my parents because they were what I thought as nickpicking on my kids. I don't want to be this person I become when I am angry. HELP!

October 14, 2000
12:33 pm
New Member
Forum Posts: -1
Member Since:
September 30, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Number one I think you need to clearly identify what you are angry at. A counselor can help you do that or there are several self help books that can help you identify . Most of the anger is displaced I am sure a build up of energy, that can be released through physical exercise. It does drain the energy, and it changes the chemicals in the brain like prozac does. When we feel trapped we act out, and usually at the wrong time and place, keep a note book and try to tract the series of outbursts. counseling medication, and exercise, I am sure will help get to the solution. By the way you can go to self help groups, or pay cash for the counseling services, In California there are several county programs that have sliding scale fees. Good luck

October 14, 2000
5:21 pm
New Member
Forum Posts: -1
Member Since:
September 24, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Find a book called Change your Brain , Change your Life by a Dr. Amen....he also recommends physical excercise and in some cases medications such as Prozac. I think you will find the book very enlightening

Tho' not aline I too live with my parentrs and at times my mom will get very nitpicky too. Isn't it a pain!!!

"Can't " control your anger? You can so!! If you are intelligent enough to be completing a Masters then you have the ability to control your temper. You may not have the skills yet but you CAN do it. And what a good lesson for your boys...for you to be open and honest with them and seek some books to work on temper control and anger management.
There are tons of resources available.

Check the University library or your closest bookstore.

Counseling now affecting your insurance later? Probably not. Seeking help in the form of counseling will probably not be seen as a preexisting condition.
Get the help you need now. Counseling may be as close as your University counseling center.

With Junior high age kids...any drugs or alcohal abuse in the home can be to much. Work on you and your family life. Finish your degree. BE JUST YOU-and happy with it. Then worry about a long term relationship.

Good luck

Forum Timezone: UTC -8
Most Users Ever Online: 247
Currently Online:
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
onedaythiswillpass: 1134
zarathustra: 562
StronginHim77: 453
free: 433
2013ways: 431
curious64: 408
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 49
Members: 110929
Moderators: 5
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 74
Topics: 38539
Posts: 714214
Newest Members:
stanley, LarteyWellnessGroup, dr ado spell caster, Leslie Ann Satin, overmyhead201, delight1080
Moderators: arochaIB: 1, devadmin: 9, Tincho: 0, Donn Gruta: 0, Germain Palacios: 0
Administrators: admin: 21, ShiningLight: 572, emily430: 29

Copyright © 2019 MH Sub I, LLC. All rights reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Health Disclaimer