Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope


Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Jailhouse divorce
August 25, 2007
10:55 pm
New Member
Forum Posts: -1
Member Since:
September 27, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This isn't the proper name. There isn't a jail involved and a person DOESNT have to be in jail to get this type of divorce.

It's called getting the paperwork, filling it out, and filing it yourself. The filing fee is the only fee you pay. If you are poor you ask for a motion to waive fee's and the file fee is waived. In other words it's free.

This works well for people that have no assets together, no children, basically nothing to contest. This is no contest divorce meaning he will most likely not contest it because they isn't a reason to do so. There are no assets, community property, no kids, nothing.

How do I know? My Mom is a paralegal and has worked in family law for years and has helped many people fill out the paperwork so they can file it themselves. Even she says they don't really need her, they can do it themselves but they are lazy usually or lack confidence to get it done right. You can also get FREE help filling out forms such as dissolution of marriage aka divorce, parenting plans, other family matters at the family court faciliators office located in most courthouses.

How do I know? I DID IT MYSELF. My parenting plan and my divorce. It's easy. If you can read and write you can do it or you can seek help from the facilitator if you are in need of some help or explainations.

I just needed to clear that up when I read someone posting about a jailhouse divorce. No such thing. No jail, no house, no convicts, nothing of the sort.


August 25, 2007
11:06 pm
Forum Posts: 8
Member Since:
September 30, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Your right. People need to call the Family law court in their county and ask about obtaining a packet and a fee waiver. Usually they have some type of free service to help people fill out the paperwork. Domestic Violence Centers have advocates there that help out as well.

August 26, 2007
4:46 pm
New Member
Forum Posts: -1
Member Since:
September 30, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

i found that through my victim's advocate i can get legal advice from my county. it is just one of the many services they help you with...amazing.

i have to do this myself...i was the one that thought i should wait till he was in jail that way it would be free. (bad terminology using the phrase JailHOUSE divorce) but since that question...it was explained to me that the county has these services you mentioned available. i was worried about the money end of it...tight finances for me...went from two incomes to just mine. and i got all the bills.

thanks queen

Forum Timezone: UTC -8
Most Users Ever Online: 349
Currently Online:
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
onedaythiswillpass: 1134
zarathustra: 562
StronginHim77: 453
free: 433
2013ways: 431
curious64: 408
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 49
Members: 110977
Moderators: 5
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 74
Topics: 38561
Posts: 714261
Newest Members:
swright, nina1985, February, lisabaker, robertwalker, Why..
Moderators: arochaIB: 1, devadmin: 9, Tincho: 0, Donn Gruta: 0, Germain Palacios: 0
Administrators: admin: 21, ShiningLight: 572, emily430: 29

Copyright © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Health Disclaimer | Do Not Sell My Personal Information