Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
BUY NOTHING DAY IS 11/26/99 THIS YEAR
November 26, 1999
11:39 am
site coordinator
Members
Forum Posts: -1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

What is "Buy Nothing Day?"

It's a Holiday the day after Thanksgiving which is designed to bring awareness to reducing the amount of "affluenza" in our world.

Affluenza is the want for more "stuff"...the purchasing and production of unnecessary items...

I for one, love this Holiday, and will buy nothing today - as on so many other days of the year! ; )

- SC

November 26, 1999
12:15 pm
eve
Members

what a pity, your post reaches me here in europe when the day is already over, and the shops are closed. If only I had known, I would have had much more fun in buying nothing, didn't havbe the time anyway šŸ˜‰
But seriously, I think a buy nothing day is a good thing, just to stop us and make us think a little.

November 26, 1999
1:20 pm
KTHOMAS
Members

I was going to brave the crowds to buy my older son a birthday gift as his birthday is the 30th of this month. But now I will wait until tomorrow and celebrate this "buy nothing day" along with you. I wasn't looking forward to going out into that mob anyway. šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚

November 26, 1999
8:32 pm
zoneless
Members

This is so cool ,, My family will have a very slim christmas ........as far as gifts so now i can say i am celebrating a new holiday.......instead of looking cheap............material things are overated anyway ......I think that we sould be estactic when we have a good meal and a warm place to be together ...I do not like to shop ........but I have never had the money to shop for any thing other than nessesities anyway

November 27, 1999
12:48 pm
site coordinator
Members

To further read about Affluenza check out this site

http://www.pbs.org/kcts/affluenza/

Affluenza is a one-hour television special I saw on PBS in 1997. I was exited when I visited the pbs.org website earlier this month and found the link above. The show explores the high social and environmental costs of materialism and overconsumption.

The site has insightful information, a quiz and lists additional organizations that are promoting the reduction of human consumption.

The idea of Buy Nothing Day centers around the day after Thanksgiving - the largest shopping day in the U.S. - participation in Europe, Eve, is also welcome. The group encourages individuals to cut up credit cards and BUY NOTHING. If you visit the site above you'll see a link to Escape from Affluenza, which promotes ideas on how to reduce your consumption.

Our global economy has produced an even greater rate of consumption in the U.S. and around the world. We can not continue to eat, manufacturer and throw away as much as we do. I suggest visiting the store to look at what you'd like to buy but it doesn't mean you have to bring it all home. If I had half of the money I spent in my life for things that I didn't need or things that weren't what I expected I'd be taking a nice European Holiday!

- SC

November 27, 1999
8:18 pm
J. C.
Members

I wish a lot more people would have celebrated this 'buy nothing day' because I had to work all day yesterday at the mall. It's really tough fighting the traffic, driving around looking for a parking spot, then having to smile and be helpful to the mobs of people wanting to pay even less than the sale prices. YUK!!!! I can't wait until I get my degree!:)

~JC

November 29, 1999
10:00 am
site coordinator
Members

JC,

It's my favorite Holiday.

It's really the "message" that is important.

http://www.pbs.org/kcts/affluenza/

I hope more people will discover the Holiday, and the meaning.

- SC

Forum Timezone: UTC -8
Most Users Ever Online: 247
Currently Online:
Guest(s)
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
onedaythiswillpass: 1134
zarathustra: 562
StronginHim77: 453
free: 433
2013ways: 431
curious64: 408
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 49
Members: 110922
Moderators: 5
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 74
Topics: 38536
Newest Members:
Corties, patrickstayes, kevinkovalsky, izzy39, RoyFollman, kevin021
Moderators: arochaIB: 1, devadmin: 9, Tincho: 0, Donn Gruta: 0, Germain Palacios: 0
Administrators: admin: 21, ShiningLight: 572, emily430: 29

Copyright © 2019 MH Sub I, LLC. All rights reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Health Disclaimer