Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
baglioni1010 in identity crisis
July 14, 2009
4:51 pm
baglioni1010
Members
Forum Posts: -1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

hello!

For some time now I've been going thru something of an identity crisis which I've learned may be attributed to a childhood of codependency and that delayed my healthy development.

My question (I guess I'm seeking similar stories/experiences?) is whether to try to develop an identity on my own or to seek a counselor/therapist to help me through the difficult process.

I cannot quite remember the last time I felt "me." Can anyone relate?

I appreciate your reading this,

baglioni1010

July 14, 2009
5:02 pm
mistyrain
Members

I think I know what you mean. I dont even know what the real me is anymore. I have just been depressed and dont know how to act normal or get back to normal.

Not sure if that is what you meant but I have been looking for myself too.

July 14, 2009
5:40 pm
laughalot
Members

I don't know if I have every known who I really am. I am in my third marriage and my friend referred to me once as a "chameleon". I lose myself in my partner and turn in to what they want me to be.

I am now in therapy and feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It is nice to talk to someone who won't judge you and has the expertise to help. I am also reading "CoDependent No More" which is a real eye opener.

I highly recommend outside help - at least to get you started on the right path. Just taking that little step will make you feel better.

Good Luck!

July 14, 2009
6:14 pm
fantas
Members
Forum Posts: 14

Baglioni1010,

I know what you mean. The fact that you are asking these questions means that you are already doing work towards blending all of who you are instead of living as a fragmented person, which is how my therapist described what I was trying to know. As a codependent, I found myself trying to be what everyone wanted me to do. It's not that I didn't know who I was, it's just that I didn't think I was good enough and tried to hide it from myself and everyone. I'm now in the process of looking at and liking me, regardless of who or what is around me. Not an easy or perfect task. The key for me isn't to reach some sort of notion of who I think I am but to love and accept the me I am today, another difficult task for me.

I have sought all kinds of assistance and help for myself. There is not shame in seeking therapy or any assistance out there. If we knew how to fix it, we wouldn't be going through these experiences. Each step of our healing journey required different skills. It's time to invest the time and effort on yourself. You are the most precious task and you deserve the very best assistance there is out there. I'm so happy for you because you wrote here and made that step.

Keep reading and posting. Many of us here get where you are coming from.

July 14, 2009
7:02 pm
mistyrain
Members

Fantas,

I agree with you. That is exactly what I have been doing. Trying to be who other people want me to be and I ended up hating myself.

July 14, 2009
7:27 pm
baglioni1010
Members

What confirmation that I'm not crazy! 😀 It's very gratifying have others understand this issue. YOUR VOICES ARE INVALUABLE! 🙂

I think I will talk to a counselor soon, if only to get that perspective of neutrality and support. These things take time and courage I guess.

You're all fabulous; thank you so much for your time in this.

<3

Forum Timezone: UTC -8
Most Users Ever Online: 349
Currently Online:
Guest(s)
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
onedaythiswillpass: 1134
zarathustra: 562
StronginHim77: 453
free: 433
2013ways: 431
curious64: 408
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 49
Members: 111092
Moderators: 5
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 74
Topics: 38644
Newest Members:
graydor, doctorelvis, lion heart, thomson, BenjaminGresham, answerhope
Moderators: arochaIB: 1, devadmin: 9, Tincho: 0, Donn Gruta: 0, Germain Palacios: 0
Administrators: admin: 21, ShiningLight: 572, emily430: 29

Copyright © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Health Disclaimer | Do Not Sell My Personal Information