Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Google Bookmarks
  • PDF
  • Yahoo! Bookmarks

Mushrooms Overdose

The Effects Of Psilocybin Mushrooms

Mushrooms containing psilocybin can cause hallucinations when consumed, and as such, they are a popular recreational drug often referred to as “magic” mushrooms. Mushroom users take the drug for the often pleasant mood-elevating effects and hallucinations that the psilocybin causes. However, psychological addiction is possible, and taking a large amount of mushrooms can cause an overdose, leading to unpleasant symptoms.

A mushrooms overdose is highly unlikely to be lethal or to cause permanent physical damage, as lethal amounts of the compounds contained in psychedelic mushrooms are extremely excessive compared to the amount that a user would take for recreational drug use. The primary danger of a mushrooms overdose is the psychological effects that such an experience can have on the user. A mushrooms overdose can cause:

  • Feelings of intense discomfort
  • Paranoia
  • Delusions
  • Hallucinations
  • Feelings of invincibility

A person using hallucinogenic mushrooms may become dangerous to themselves or others. Because of this, taking mushrooms with psilocybin is illegal in the United States and in many other countries. However, the mushrooms that contain psilocybin can be legally possessed in many states, making enforcement of drug laws against mushrooms difficult.

If you believe that someone you know has overdosed on psilocybin mushrooms, there are a few things to keep in mind that can help you find appropriate treatment for the individual.

What To Expect From A Psilocybin Overdose

Magic mushroom users report a wide range of symptoms, but one of the most common negative symptoms is colloquially referred to as a “bad trip.” During a bad trip, mushroom users will feel extremely anxious or paranoid. They may become violent or withdrawn. These feelings wear off with the rest of the mushrooms’ effects.

Taking a large number of magic mushrooms will often result in extremely intense visual distortions that can be very unpleasant. This is often accompanies by waves of nausea. Some users may vomit after a mushrooms overdose.

After a mushrooms overdose, a drug user may report symptoms similar to the hangover that follows excessive alcohol use. This mushroom “hangover” can be extremely severe and can lead to intense nausea, headaches, and other nonfatal but unpleasant symptoms.

Most mushroom users who overdose are inexperienced with the mushrooms or are unaware of the potency of a particular batch or type of mushroom. There are a variety of mushrooms available that contain psilocybin, so even an experienced user may overdose after trying a new type of mushroom.

Some mushrooms may have additives that can make them dangerous, and occasionally mushroom users mistake poisonous mushrooms for psilocybin mushrooms. This can result in serious nausea, muscle cramps, and symptoms that can endanger the life of the drug user. If you notice any of these symptoms, contact a poison control center as quickly as possible.

Treatment Options For A Mushroom Overdose

In most cases, a mushroom overdose can be allowed to run its course without medical treatment. Feelings of panic and anxiety can be treated with anti-anxiety medications. When mushrooms are combined with other drugs, the situation can be more severe for the patient, and doctors may use a number of methods to stabilize the body’s systems to prevent long term damage or death.

Mushrooms are psychologically addictive, so if you know a person who is compelled to seek out and take magic mushrooms on a frequent basis, they may need addiction counseling. Addiction therapy will help to prevent future mushroom overdoses and the potential dangers that mushroom users may present to themselves and others during a trip.

...


Copyright © 2014 Internet Brands, Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Health Disclaimer | Cookies