Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Google Bookmarks
  • PDF
  • Yahoo! Bookmarks

ODing on Molly

Molly is a popular name for 3, 4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine, a Schedule I psychoactive club drug. It is currently one of the most popular street drugs, especially among 16 to 24 year olds.

Taking too much Molly and/or mixing it with other drugs or alcohol can be addictive and dangerous. There have been recent deaths associated with the drug.

Can You OD on Molly?

The drug is usually ingested in pill form but some users crush the pills and snort it to experience a faster and more intense high. The euphoric and hallucinogenic effects of Molly last for several hours, often 12 to 16 hours, after ingestion.

The drug inhibits the user’s ability to stop oneself from adding more Molly to their system. There is a risk of ODing on Molly because users keep taking more and more to keep the euphoric feeling going and to prevent a crash.

Combining Molly with antidepressants can be toxic. Taking it with cocaine or other stimulants can cause a sharp spike in blood pressure and heart rate, high enough to cause a stroke or heart attack.

Molly Overdose Signs and Symptoms

The signs of overdosing on Molly  can begin within 20 minutes of ingestion. The symptoms of overdose include, but are not limited to:

  • Headache
  • Blurred vision
  • Chest pain
  • Dry mouth
  • Nausea and vomited
  • Urinary retention or inability to urinate
  • Hypertension or high blood pressure
  • Seizures
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Hyperthermia or increased body temperature
  • Tightening of muscles and muscle cramps

Overweight people are more likely to experience the increased body temperature or hyperthermia. A history of asthma or other respiratory problems tends to make a person more vulnerable to the serious side effects of Molly.

Treatment for Molly

There are no medication antidotes to reverse the effects of Molly or MDMA. Other measures can be taken to keep the patient safe and comfortable:

  • The most important concern is maintaining the airway of an overdose victim. Sometimes, assistive devices like a respirator are needed.
  • Safety and protection are a prime factor. Overdose patients display paranoia and must be prevented from escaping medical care.
  • Intravenous fluids help to prevent dehydration caused by the often-experienced severe hyperthermia.
  • Cognitive-behavioral therapy is a common treatment choice for Molly addiction.

Depending upon each case, other treatment options include:

  • Gastric lavage
  • Activated charcoal
  • Medication to treat hypertension
  • Medication to quell agitation
  • Cool compresses to lower body temperature or treat hyperthermia

Depending upon several factors like the amount of drug ingested, the length of time of dependence and the user’s medical history, a patient is feeling better after about seven hours. The risks associated with using Molly are high. The drug is addictive and dangerous. The risk of overdose looms from a user’s first encounter with the drug.

No related posts.


Copyright © 2014 Internet Brands, Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Health Disclaimer | Cookies